Wednesday, October 05, 2005

For The Neat Freaks Out There (and I know your out there), Here's Some Tips On Keeping Your Clubs Clean

Read this post about cleaning your golf clubs from Hitting the Links and thought most people could learn something. Personally, the only time I have my clubs cleaned is if someone at a golf course cleans them for me looking for a tip but this post is for the people who like to take care of their things;

Keeping Your Golf Clubs Clean

My mother always taught me to keep everything spotless. I think this explains my almost weekly cleaning of my clubs. It could also have something to do with my game living in sand and thick grass! Either way, I have a pretty simple system devised to get my clubs in tip-top shape. You are going to need a few household items:
A sink
Dishwashing liquid (lemon-scented Joy for me)
A toothbrush
A towel

The Irons
First, fill your sink with warm water. You should be able to keep your fingers under the water without having a first-degree burn. If it's too hot, you'll loosen the ferrule (that plastic ring that separates the head and the shaft). Just fill the sink enough to cover the heads of the clubs.
Stick your irons in the sink (not the woods) and let them soak for a minute or two. We're just trying to get the grass, dirt and chemicals off the club. One-by-one take a toothbrush to the head and scrub. Get all the junk off there.
Once satisfied, rinse the soap off and dry the head and shaft off. Repeat until you have cleaned all those irons.

The Woods
For your woods, quickly dip them in the water and then scrub them. You don't want to soak them because they will lose their finish. Once removed, use the toothbrush to clean out the grooves and then wipe them with a soft cloth.
I am extra careful with my woods.
If you have any tips on cleaning your clubs, offer them here. /

Anyone want to clean mine when your done with yours?

Golf Times

3 Comments:

Anonymous Eat Golf said...

Like you said, don't be soaking your irons where that ferrule gets under water - if water gets under that you can't dry it so your shaft might rust.

Same goes with dipping your sandwedge in a lake to retrieve a ball - don't ever get the ferrule wet. Unless your wedge is all beat to hell like mine is and you don't care if the head breaks off ;)

11:57 PM  
Blogger Mattb said...

Now you tell me, I've been dipping my stick in places it shouldn't have been for years. I'm surprised the head hasn't fallen off already!

Golf Times

8:40 AM  
Blogger make_love_tonight said...

what's up M tb done any golfing lately ?

i'm gonna whoop your butt if u haven't been practicing your golf fitness

like i always say, M tb , a golfers golf fitness is one of the most important parts of the golf game!! ;-)

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

|
 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com