Friday, February 24, 2006

Tom Lehman is Starting to Piss Me Off

Yeah Tom Lehman. Why would a goof like Tom Lehmen piss me off you say? Easy, I heard him say that if he played well enough to make it on the Ryder Cup team he would play and be a player-captain. Come on, are you kidding me. Being a captain for an event like the Ryder Cup is a full time job. You need to know what is going on at all times and who is playing well with who etc. It's hard to get a grasp of all that when you're busy playing.

Bernard Langer was smart enough to say last Ryder Cup that if he played well enough to be on the team that he would decline. Now there is someone who knows what it takes to be a captain.

The committee that picks the captains made the mistake in picking Tom in the first place. He's too young to be captain in my opinion. They should have gone with one of the older candidates. For one, it's an honor and that honor should go to the people that put in a full career around the game and that this would be like icing on the cake. I know the argument is that Tom knows these guys better because he's played with them for years but that can be a double edged sword. Some of his contemporaries may not like him or respect him.

The other reason is the one he's proving by saying he may play. He's still thinking like a player and not a captain. The US is in trouble this year when it comes to the Ryder Cup.

Meanwhile, Tom is actually playing well at the start of this year. Right now he's into the third round of the Match play tourney. Each time he hits a good shot he just pisses me off more and more.

Golf Times

4 Comments:

Blogger Eat Golf said...

Oh man - once again you voiced my exact thoughts.

And now all of a sudden TL makes every putt he looks at..

Good call MB

Rich

8:26 PM  
Blogger Tom Gov said...

I think you overestimate these players need for a captain. Maybe they will be better off if their captain is out on the course trying to earn some points too. I see the Ryder Cup Captain as having two primary jobs. Conduct press conferances and carry a walkie talkie with an earphone.
But really I love your blog.

Tom Gov
www.point1golf.com

10:15 PM  
Blogger Mattb said...

Thanks for the comments guys.
Rich - Great minds think alike heh heh

Tom - I think a captain should be a leader more than anything else and Lehman just doesn't strike me as one. He may be totally different off camera but I can only go by what I see.
BTW, you have great blog yourself, I'm adding you to my blog roll, can you add me to yours?

P.S. As aI write this Lehman has taken Chad to extra holes - unbelieveable!

2:59 PM  
Blogger Tom Gov said...

Thanks,
You are on my list. Looks like his luck has run out. He is now in the top 10 so he will be answering the same question for next few months.

tom gov

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

|
 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com