Thursday, February 16, 2006

Words of Wisdom from the Merry Mex

Lee Trevino, the Merry Mex. He has got to be the most colorful character golf has ever known outside of Walter Hagen.

I got to see him play in 2000 and followed him for a bunch of holes. The whole time I don't think he stopped talking for more than a couple minutes. The only time you could be sure he would be silent is when someone was putting.

After one hole he was walking from the green to the next tee and I was the only one walking near him. I say "near" because we weren't actually walking together, I was more like following him. Anyway, he was still talking about god knows what. I think he was just talking to hear himself talk. He was aware I was there but I don't think he was actually talking to me. At one tee he was watching Arnold Palmer playing in front of him and he said, again to no one in particuler, "Look at Arnolds caddie, look at how weighed down he looks carrying Arnold's bag. I bet he has 10 lbs of lead tape in his bag!" Then he left out his trade mark laugh.

That day he was playing with Ioki and Ioki was putting and came up about 4 feet short. Trevino then putted and blew the ball about 5 feet past. Trevino started laughing and kept saying to Ioki that there was no way he was going to be short after watching Ioki come up short. Ioki just smiled, I don't think he understands English and just went along.

That was Trevino, nothing seemed to bother him, he always looked like he was really enjoying life. Here are some words of wisdom from the Merry Mex:

1. "You can make a lot of money in this game. Just ask my ex-wives. Both of them are so rich that neither of their husbands work.”

2. “Columbus went around the world in 1492. That isn’t a lot of strokes when you consider the course.”

3. “I’m not saying my golf game went bad, but if I grew tomatoes, they’d come up sliced.”

4. “If you’re caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron.”

5. Talking about the 240 yd par three 17th at Merion C.C. "That's the shortest par 4 in US Open history."

6. "You want to know what pressure is, betting $5 on a round of golf when you only have $2 in your pocket."

Golf Times

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

|
 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com