Thursday, March 02, 2006

Where Did The Term "Caddie" Come From Anyway

I've always been facinated by the origin of words and when they're related to golf it's even better. Here's the story behind the word caddie.

Back in the 16th century, Mary, Queen of Scotts ruled supreme. As such, she used to employ young nubile soldiers (cadets) as porters. God knows what else she employed them for, I could make some guesses but that's for another blog.

Anywho, she must have been pretty cool because she liked to golf. Of course, while she was golfing she wasn't about to carry her own clubs so she used the young cadets to carry them for her. These cadets became known as her "caddies" and the word has stuck ever since.

I can't imagine she got too many rounds in because she was unfortunately beheaded in 1587 at age 45 and spent the previous 18 years of her life in prison.

Whoever said it's good to be King/Queen didn't know Queen Mary.

Golf Times

2 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a golf equipment site. It pretty much covers golf equipment related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

8:04 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I love your blog! It certainly looks like you spent a log of time and effort on it! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a nike golf club driver site. It pretty much covers nike golf club driver related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

|
 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com