Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Michelle Wie Finally Gets It Done In Korea

Wie did it. Not since the Babe accomplished the feat in 1945 has a women made the cut in a men's professional golf tournament.

Wie shot a 3-under 69 in the second round Friday to make the cut by five strokes and improve on her opening 70. She started the final round at 3 under, six strokes off the pace. The Sat round was washed out making it a 54 hole event. She shot a two over 74 on Sun to end at 3 under, good enough for a T-35.

"I was really, really happy I've passed the first stage," Wie said. "Now I want to make the next step."

That next step of course will be to make the cut on the PGA Tour here in the states. I think it's just a matter of time.

Golf Times

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Are you calling the Babe a woman golfer? If so, it's funny. If not, it's even more funny!

Chris (My Blog)

10:41 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Actually, Se Ri Pak made the cut in a Korean Tour Men's event a few years ago.

And Chris, I believe he means Babe Didrikson (the woman golfer), not Babe Ruth...

11:57 AM  
Blogger Mattb said...

Chris, Jason is right. I meant the other Babe, as in Didrikson.

Jason, now that you mentioned that I think I vaguely remember hearing that. I did read that Michelle was the first since Babe. Just shows that you can't always believe what you read.

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

|
 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com